Apple Pie Filling ... For the Freezer
Apples galore at my house. Time to make some apple pie filling to have handy on those cold snowy days!
- 2/3 cup white flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- or however much you like
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples
- Pie tin
- plastic wrap and foil
- 1 gl freezer bag
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Place first first 3 ingredients into a bowl and stir.
Add apples and toss until well mixed.
Line a pie plate with tin foil and plastic wrap. Add the apple mixture. Freeze until sold. Remove from tin. Wrap tightly and store in freezer.
Put frozen pie filling into crust lined pie dish.
Using 5 tbsps of cut up cold butter, dot the filling. Put top crust on, flute the edges, and sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar. Line edges with foil to prevent the pie from burning. Bake pie at 350F for 1hr/1h 15, until inside is hot and bubbling. I would put it on a baking sheet to avoid a big mess. Take foil off for the last 25 minutes to brown the crust.
I froze these in a pie dish so I can just take the filling and put it into a pie shell. You can also do these in a freezer bag, make many at the same time & freeze them by laying them flat in your freezer. If you do them this way, make sure to thaw them before baking.
You'll also love
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.5/5 (924 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Drop Donuts 4.1/5 (353 Votes)
- Cider-Mill Stuffed Apples 3.4/5 (344 Votes)
- Apple Tart 4.2/5 (109 Votes)
- Rustic Pie with Beets, Apples and... 3.7/5 (141 Votes)
- 4-C Overnight Oats 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Pumpkin Chia Overnight Oats 3.1/5 (105 Votes)
- pesto cubes from the garden 4/5 (7 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.