Winter Warming Leek and Potato Soup
Creamy leek and potato soup makes a savory snack after a cold afternoon, or a light lunch or dinner with some crusty bread, or even as an appetizer.
Creamy leek and potato soup makes a savory snack for a cold afternoon, a light lunch or dinner with some crusty bread, or even as an appetizer.
- 3 large leeks
- white parts only
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 2 crushed garlic buds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of milk
- either low fat
- 1% or 2% depending on the thickness of the soup you prefer;
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
1) sweat the onions, leeks and garlic in the olive oil and butter in the soup pot until they are softened but not browned for about five minutes.
2) add chicken stock and potatoes
3) Add in salt, pepper, thyme and parsley
4) cook until potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes
5) cool for about 20 minutes
6) purée the mixture in a blender.
7) return mixture to the soup pot.
8) add milk and heat, but don't boil.
This soup tastes even better after re-heating and is perfect for freezing for use later, on chilly days or for quick homemade meals.
You'll also love
- Fish and Vegetable Casserole 4.8/5 (66 Votes)
- Sole Medallion with foie gras 4.6/5 (75 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Paleo Taco Soup 4.5/5 (53 Votes)
- Rabbit stew 4.7/5 (60 Votes)
- Low Fat Mushroom Soup 4.8/5 (25 Votes)
- Dad's Potato Salad 3.9/5 (94 Votes)
- 15 Bean Soup 4.3/5 (57 Votes)
- Salmon Leek Lasagna 3.7/5 (90 Votes)