Triple Peppermint Bars
These bars were a staple at my work for Christmas 2013. I made them several times and people were always asking for more.
With a crispy crust, a smooth creamy filling and a crunchy topper who wouldn't go crazy for these?
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 8 ounces chocolate (dark
- semisweet or milk)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare base whisk together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Sift in dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add in chocolate chips. Press base into a buttered or parchment lined 9" square pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until fully cooked and edges have browned.
While the base is cooking blend together butter, mint extract and cream cheese with an electric mixer or whisk for the filling. Sift in icing sugar until fully combined. Chill.
Allow cookie base to cool and then refrigerate half an hour to chill it. Once chilled spread the filling evenly along the base. Place in freezer or fridge until needed.
For the topping melt butter and chocolate over a double boiler at medium low heat. Once fully melted, remove squares from freezer and carefully pour chocolate evenly on the top. Some spreading may be required to evenly coat, just be careful not to mix in the cream cheese while in the process. Sprinkle candy cane pieces on top and press lightly to set them in.
Refrigerate until needed. Cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
Try not to rush the process of chilling as it really makes a difference. Although you can rush it, it will not turn out as nice or tasty.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
All you need is 3 main ingredients to make this Chocolate Strawberry Braid for dessert tonight!
- 7-9 medium-sized strawberries
- 1 puff pastry
- 1 chocolate bar
- 1 egg yolk
- Almond slivers
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the strawberries into halves.
- Dust some flour on a flat surface and spread your puff pastry out on top, smoothing it into a rectangle shape if necessary.
- Place the bar of chocolate in the center, then top with a layer of strawberry halves.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife, slice the edges of the puff pastry into strips that can be wrapped over the chocolate and strawberries. Starting with the flap at the top, fold over each strip in a slightly diagonal direction so that they resemble a braid.
- Brush the braid with a beaten egg yolk so that it covers the entire visible surface.
- Sprinkle almond slivers on top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Give the braid a few minutes to cool down, then cover with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!