Easily Adaptable Banana Bread Recipe
Yummy homemade banana bread that you can adapt to your own tastes and preferences, making this the perfect recipe for you!
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream (low-fat or regular) 125 mL
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp each of baking powder and baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Cost Average budget
In large bowl, whisk the eggs then mix in sugar, oil, bananas and yogurt; blend with electric mixer or whisk until combined.
In small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture; stir until combined. Add walnuts or chocolate chips if you like.
Pour into greased and floured loaf pan. Bake in 350F (180C) oven (or 325F/160C for glass or dark nonstick pan) for 55 to 60 minutes or until tester comes out clean; don't overbake. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
If desired, garnish with a simple buttercream frosting, an icing sugar glaze, or chopped nuts (the latter prior to baking).
Spiced Banana Coconut Bread variation: Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) flaked or finely shredded unsweetened coconut and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice to flour mixture.
Banana Muffins variation: Spoon batter into paper- lined muffin tins, filling almost to top. Bake in 375F (190C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Makes about 12.
You'll also love
- YUM!Food Porn Garlic and Parsley Domplines 4.4/5 (169 Votes)
- Breadsticks with Parsley Pesto... 3/5 (261 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Challah 4.2/5 (136 Votes)
- The best yeast rolls, proofed in... 4.2/5 (113 Votes)
- Easy Peasy Banana Bread 4/5 (73 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Banana Bread 4.1/5 (34 Votes)
- Meat Loaf 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Grandma's Banana Bread 4.2/5 (27 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
The only annoying thing about bananas is how quickly they ripen. Have you ever noticed that they also tend to make all the other fruits and vegetables around them ripen faster too? In this video we teach you how to get your bananas to last longer!