Deep fried dough from Puerto Rico, served with black beans!
Puerto Rican fried dough domplines. Discover our recipe.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 onion
- garlic powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to season
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking powder.
Add the water to the flour mixture, blending until you have a dough. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes in a bowl covered with plastic wrap.
Divide the dough into 16 small round balls. Flatten them with a rolling pin or shape them into whatever form you like.
Drop them into a deep fryer with very hot oil. Fry for about 1 minute. Dust with salt when they're still hot.
While the dough is frying, in a small saucepan fry the onion, add the black beans, garlic powder and a bit of water. Cook for 10 minutes.
Serve the domplines with the black bean sauce on the side.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!