The Trick Your Grandma Used to Stop Potatoes from Sprouting
Have you ever bought too many potatoes at once and are now in a panic to use them all before they start sprouting? Try this easy trick to make them last longer!
Why An Apple?
Apples release ethylene, a natural gas that stagnates the growth of sprouts. It won't stop it forever, but it will give you just the time you need to find uses for all the extra potatoes you have. No more waste!
Looking for some potato dish inspiration? Here are 100 easy recipes you'll love!
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!