The Best Picnic Recipes Around the Globe
Stumped for picnic ideas? See how the rest of the world does it with this roundup of irresistible recipes.
© iStock / Getty Images Plus / porosolka
Schwäbischer Kartoffelsalat - Germany
This traditional potato salad from southern Germany can be served cold or at room temperature. It's got tender, boiled potatoes combined with crispy bacon, sweet red onions, cornichons and fresh thyme in a tangy dressing. The longer it sits, the better it tastes, so feel free to store in the fridge overnight and bring it to your picnic the next day.
- 2 lbs (1 kg) waxy potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed
- 6-8 bacon strips, finely diced (optional)
- 1 cup (50 g) red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) beef stock or water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white vinegar
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 cornichons, sliced into thin rounds
- Fresh thyme
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with an inch of water. Boil over high heat until tender, about 20 minutes. If working with larger potatoes, you can cut them in half beforehand.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy all over. Remove the bacon and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels. Leave the rendered bacon fat in the pan. Add the red onion, and cook until translucent and softened, about 2-4 minutes. Pour in the beef broth, and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to medium-low, and add the white vinegar, sunflower oil, Dijon mustard, sugar, celery seed, salt and pepper.
- When the potatoes are cooked through, drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/4-inch cubes. Add the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Pour the hot dressing over the potatoes, and gently toss the salad to coat. Stir in the cooked bacon, cornichons and fresh thyme. Let sit for at least 30 minutes, to let the flavors absorb. For even better results, store in the fridge overnight, and serve the following day.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!