5 Golden Rules for Perfect Mac and Cheese
© Getty Images
Master the Roux
A good roux is hard to master but easy to make once you do. Basically (and every chef has their own opinion) it's equal parts butter and flour by weight, melted and cooked together on the stove. Its all about the whisk—keep whisking. The idea is to end up with a perfectly smooth blend that smells faintly of cookies. This will be the foundation for the cheese sauce, creating that delicious, smooth, rich, creamy texture. It's the most important step, even though it's comprised of the fewest ingredients.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll drool over this 3 cheese, bacon-wrapped baguette.
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 baguette
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cut your cheeses into thin slices
- Slice baguette down the middle (like a sandwich)
- Layer cheddar, blue, and mozarella cheese inside the bread
- Top with sun-dried tomatoes
- Close baguette and wrap with bacon strips
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Slice and serve!