This is a dish that you would buy from a street vendor in Subic Bay, Phillipines.
Can be done in pork too.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 lemons juiced OR 6 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of Ginger ale or 7 up
- 1 tsp Ground black pepper
- 5 Tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp MSN (optional)
- Bamboo skewers
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
Mix all ingredients together except chicken or pork.
Wash chicken pat dry and put in air tight container (zip lock baggie) and pour in marinade. I let mine marinade at least 24 hours the longer the better your flavoring.
Soak bamboo skewers for 3 hours prior to cooking meat.
About 30 minutes before doing next step start your grill getting it hot and ready.
Remove meat from marinade (reserving the marinade), put half of marinade in a saucepan pan on medium heat allowing it to reduce, while it is reducing put meat on skewers. Put skewered meats in marinade that was NOT reduced.
Grill meat turning frequently, once meat is cooked use the reduction marinade to baste the grilled meats.
This can be served as is or with rice, potatoes or salad.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.