Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
Pasta in a creamy parmesan sauce with juicy sausage and wilted broccoli rabe.
- 1 pound orecchiette or small shells pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, stems cut off
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan (4 ounces)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and return it to the pot
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage (casings removed) and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until it’s no longer pink, 8-10 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add the broth and red pepper and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli rabe and simmer, covered, until tender.
Stir in the butter and Parmesan and cook, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add sausage mixture to pasta, add salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine.