Lahmahjoon (Armenian Pizza)
"These savory pizzas are bathed in a tomato and lamb topping, then cut into wedges to serve. Served hot or cold, these may be an appetizer, or put a little salad in the middle, and fold up like a taco for a quick meal."
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 pita breads
- or fluffy tortillas
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Place ground lamb in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and break into small pieces until mostly browned. Drain any excess grease. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent. Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato paste, then season with parsley, basil, mint, cumin, and if using, cayenne. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend the flavors.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Distribute the lamb mixture evenly over the tortillas, and spread out to the edges. Place the tortillas onto a baking sheet.
Bake for about 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven and place the lahmahjoons onto a large piece of aluminum foil so that two of them are meat side to meat side, then stack the pairs together, and bring the foil up over the top to keep warm. These can be served hot or cold. Cut into small wedges.
This recipe is just for a small amount. When I make it which isn't very often I make a ton & freeze them. That way when ever anyone wants one its right there & just takes a few minutes to UN-thaw & re heat.You can either use pita bread but I use fresh flour tortillas. I think they taste & work much better.
You'll also love
- Vietnamese Salad Rolls 3.3/5 (263 Votes)
- MEXICAN PIZZA 3.2/5 (240 Votes)
- Spicy Scallop with Cilantro Pistou... 3.2/5 (236 Votes)
- Pretzel Crusted White Chocolate... 4.1/5 (120 Votes)
- Easy Bean and Pepper Chili 4.1/5 (121 Votes)
- Garlic Fingers 4.2/5 (100 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Pizza Dough in Bread machine 3.9/5 (119 Votes)
- Savories- Cheese and Onion... 2.9/5 (197 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
We are definitely making these Easy Cheesy Mini Pizzas for our next party!
- Pizza Dough (homemade or store bought)
- Shredded cheese
- Pizza sauce
- Cured ham, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Roll out the dough
- Use a small bowl to cut the dough into rounds
- Add shredded cheese
- Place in oven on an oven tray afr 10 min at 355°F
- Put each dough round into a ramekin
- Add 1 tbsp pizza sauce, a handful of shredded cured ham
- Break an egg into each pizza
- Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a basil leaf
- Place in oven for another 15 mins at 355°F
- Garnish with parsley and a pinch of pepper
- Serve and enjoy!