- Sweet Pastry: (for 2 tarts)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour; .
- 7/8 cup butter;
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar;
- 1 egg yolk;
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water;
- 4 eggs;
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar (or granulated sugar, processed to fine texture in a food processor);
- 2 tablespoons minced lemon zest;
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice;
- 1/2 cup cream;
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
1. Place flour, butter, and confectioners' sugar in food processor; process until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add egg yolk and 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water, and process until mixture forms a dough. Mold dough into 2 flat shapes, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 20 minutes.
2. Roll out pastry to 1/8 inch thick (3mm), and line a 9- or 10-inch (24 cm) tart pan. Patch any cracks with extra dough and chill the crust in the freezer for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Line pastry with foil, fill the foil with a little raw rice, and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and rice, and continue baking until pastry is a light golden color.
5. In a mixing bowl, mix together eggs, superfine sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cream. Do not over beat. Pour the mixture through a strainer. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet, and carefully pour the lemon mixture into the baked pastry crust.
6. Bake until the tart is nearly set, about 20 minutes. The filling will be runny in the center, and will set when cool; don't over cook, or cracks will appear. Cool and serve.