- 1 tablespoon olive oil - divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks (about 2 small stalks - white and pale green parts only)
- 1 8-ounce container sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves - pressed
- 2 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 ounces) - trimmed - center stalks removed - leaves coarsely chopped (about 8 cups packed)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
Add leeks; sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until leeks begin to soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
Add mushrooms, garlic, and rosemary; increase heat to medium-high and sauté until mushrooms soften and begin to brown, stirring often, about 7 minutes.
Add tomatoes with juice; stir 1 minute. Add barley and 4 cups broth; bring to boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until barley is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
Add kale; stir until wilted, about 1 minute.
Cover and simmer until kale and barley are tender, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls as needed for desired stew consistency, about 10 minutes.
You'll also love
- Curry Potato & Pea Stew 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
Review this recipe