By Olga Klesch
Clotted cream gives this cake a lovely richness.
- 225 Gram Butter, softened (8 oz)
- 175 Gram Caster sugar (6 oz)
- 3 Medium Eggs, beaten
- 275 Gram Plain flour (10 oz)
- 1 Heaped tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 Oranges, zest and juice
- 110 Gram Clotted cream (4 oz)
- 3 Tablespoon Marmalade, stirred until sof
- 225 Gram Icing sugar (8 oz)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Pre-heat oven to 180 °C / 350 °F / Gas 4. Grease 2 sandwich tins 20 x 4 cm (8 x 1 1/2 inch). Cream the butter and sugar until pale and slowly beat in the eggs. Sift the flour gradually into the mixture. Add the baking powder, orange zest and half the juice.
Divide between the two tins and bake for 30 minutes (check after 25 minutes). Cool on a wire rack.
Mix the clotted cream with the marmalade and sandwich the sponges together. Make the icing by gradually adding the remaining orange juice to the icing sugar until smooth. Drizzle over the top.