Mini Minty Christmas Morning Scones
This is a favorite family recipe that we have every Christmas morning. They are light, delicious, and the perfect food to eat while opening presents. We also eat these throughout the day. When I bring these scones to parties everyone loves them.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 4 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1/3 cup of butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of creme de menthe chips or peppermint chips
- 2 oz. of bittersweet chocolate bar
- melted with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- cooking spray
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare large baking sheet by spraying with cooking spray. In large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add butter to flour mixture. With pastry blender or fork mix butter into flour until pebble like balls form. Make a well in the flour butter mixture to prepare for wet ingredients. Before adding egg and milk melt 1 oz of baking chocolate bar in microwave. Place in a microwave safe bowl to melt, and melt in 20 second increments until melted. Stir after each 20 seconds. Once melted set aside. Add milk, egg and peppermint chips into well of flour mixture. Mix until dough holds together. Gently add the melted chocolate into dough. until blended The dough will have a swirl look. Split dough in half and place both halves on baking sheet. Working with 1/2 of the dough spread dough in a 5 in circle. on one part of the baking sheet. Cut the scones in 8 triangle pieces, just like a pie. Do the same for the other half of the dough. Lift and separate the scones on pan so they do not touch, about an inch between each scone. Place in oven and bake 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom and top. Remove from oven and after a few minutes tranfer to cooling rack.
After scones have cooked 10 minutes melt the remaining 1 oz of cooking chocolate as directed with scone preparation. Once melted add 1/2 teapoon of sugar. Tranfer melted chocolate to plastic sandwich bag and push melted chocolate to one corner of bag. Cut a very small piece from corner of the bag. Drizzle top of scones with a zig zap pattern with melted chocolate bag.
Enjoy your scones warm ( the best) or cool.
These scones are great anytime. If you are not a fan of peppermint try regular chocolate chips . 2 scones per serving if you can resist having only 2!
You'll also love
- Harvest Guava Galette 0/5 (0 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Check out our delicious spin on the classic Brazilian cake, with Fererro Rochers and Kit-Kat!
For the batter:
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 cup of of natural yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the frosting:
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- 3 cans of condensed milk
- 2 and 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a pan, melt together the condensed milk, the chocolates in pieces and the butter. Slowly fold in the thickened cream. Mix, without stopping, until it is smooth and thick.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar. Add the oil and mix again.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and the bicarbonate soda. Pour in the egg mixture, mix together, then add the yogurt.
Grease and sprinkle cocoa powder inside two springform pans. Divide the batter mixture between them, then bake at 360°F for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, and allow to cool.
- Spread some of the frosting between the layers of the cake, and generously spread around the outside.
- Decorate the cake with Kit Kats, extra frosting and Fererro Rochers, in your style!
For more food buzz and delightful recipes, follow us on Facebook!