Harvest Guava Galette
A sweet crisp rustic crust surrounds delicate ripe pears and apples with dots of guava paste would welcome all of your Holiday Guests with warm comforting aromas
- 2 cups flour + extra for rolling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lg. egg
- 2-3tbsp water
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- 1-2 tbsp coarse sugar
- 2 MacIntosh apples, peeled, cored, sliced thinly vertically
- 2 Granny Smith or Gala apples, peeled, cored, sliced thinly vertically
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and sliced thinly vertically
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/4 cup cubed guava paste
- 1/4 cup original bread crumbs
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Place flour and shortening into a food processor. Pulse to chop, forming large pieces the size of grapes. Add egg and pulse to combine 5-10 more pulses until the mixture comes together into a rough ball of dough. If the mixture comes together tightly into your hand then remove from the bowl. If it is too dry and falls apart add 2-3 tbsp of water until the dough holds together firmly without being wet.
Roll out between 2 sheets of lightly floured wax paper.
Peel back the sheet every few rolls to unstick the dough.
Turn the dough over and repeat.
This prevents sticking and faster stretching and the dough does not get warm from your hands.
Refrigerate until needed.
Place apples, pears, sugar, spice into a bowl and toss to mix.
Place dough onto a large enough parchment lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle bread crumbs on bottom of center of dough to within 3" of the edges.
Pile the fruit onto the centre of the dough, mounding.
Dot the guava paste all over and tuck in some pieces.
Fold the rough dough edges over the fruit, overlapping the edges firmly.
Brush the outside of the crust with milk.
Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Bake in a preheated 350F for 45-55 min or until golden brown.
Short on time? Make the crust and refrigerate up to 2 days.
You'll also love
- Passion Fruit and Strawberry Creme... 4.1/5 (60 Votes)
- Sweet Apple Turnovers 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Dessert- Creamy Guava 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Better For You Butter tarts 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dessert- Sticky Date Pudding 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Susan's Thimble Cookies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Perfect Pear Applesauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- cooked apples 0/5 (0 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.