What's better than a piece of apple pie with a slice of cheddar melted on top? One with the cheddar cheese that is baked right into the pie and drizzled on top! A cheesy twist on an old classic makes this pie explode with delicious sweet and savory flavors in every bite. This pie is always a big hit at every summer bbq, fall tailgate party, holiday gathering or any day!
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar; divided
- 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour plus ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4-5 cups of thinly sliced and peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese plus 1 ½ cup for sauce
- One 4.25 oz can of green chiles
- Frozen ready made 9 inch pie crust
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted plus 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup whole milk
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 65mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar and ½ cup of the brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, the ginger and nutmeg; stir and set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples and chiles with lemon juice. Add apple mixture to the sugar mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle bottom of pie crust with ½ cup cheddar cheese. Fill with apple mixture.
Stir together walnuts, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup flour, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, and remaining ¾ teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl with a fork. Sprinkle over pie.
Bake pie on a baking sheet, covered loosely with foil in center of oven for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake until apples are tender, about 10 more minutes. Set pie aside to cool.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in medium sauce pan. When melted, add 2 tablespoons of flour, stirring constantly. When fully mixed together, add the milk and stir. Add 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese until completely melted. Remove from heat.
Cut slices of pie and drizzle with warm cheddar sauce on the.
My tip - Use a good quality sharp cheddar cheese. Quality doesn’t need to be fancy, sometimes the most luscious recipes include just a few honest ingredients. You can really taste the difference that a good quality cheese makes in this dish.
You'll also love
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.4/5 (973 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Macaroni and Cheese 4/5 (173 Votes)
- Vegetable Puree 3/5 (233 Votes)
- Christmas Quiche 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Walnut Crescent Cookies 3.7/5 (103 Votes)
- Arayeches Algerian sweets 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Easily Adaptable Banana Bread... 4/5 (68 Votes)
- Lemon Cheesecake 4.2/5 (68 Votes)