Susan's Thimble Cookies
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 separated eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- jam or chocolate filling (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Cream together 2/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until fluffy with electric mixer.
Separate yolks and whites of two eggs, and add egg yolks to cream mixture. Add 1 tsp vanilla and 2 1/2 tsp salt, then beat well. Gradually add 1/2 cup flour, mixing well.
Shape into 3/4 inch balls, dip balls into slightly beaten egg whites, then roll in 3/4 cup of finely chopped walnuts. Press down in centre with thumb. Cook 15-17 minutes in a 350 degree F oven.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!