Gingerbread Lime Coconut Bars
This is recipe is a family fave and the epitome of festive flexibility! My son prefers the colored coconut topping, my daughter likes the Creamy Coconut icing the best and since my husband doesn’t like coconut, he gets the sparkling sugar topping. Me, well I love them all!
- 2 Tblsp brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1Tblsp molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/3 cup toffee bits (I use Skor)
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (the juice of about 2 limes)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp green food coloring
- Optional Toppings:
- #1: Creamy coconut icing:
- 1/2 cup Fine unsweetened coconut
- 2/3 cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- 2- 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- Green sparkling sugar (sprinkle on as much as desired)
- #2: Colored coconut
- 1 tsp green Food color
- 1 cup sweetened medium flaked coconut
- #3: Green Sparkling sugar- sprinkle on as much as desired
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Put base ingredients into food processor and mix until butter is evenly distributed and mixture clings together. Press dough into the bottom of a 13X9X2 inch baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 12- 18 mins or until lightly browned
3. In a medium mixing bowl, beat together eggs, white granulated sugar and lime juice. In another bowl mix flour and baking powder, then stir into lime mixture, along with the lime zest and green food coloring.
4. Immediately pour over baked crust and bake in preheated oven for 20 -25 minutes until filling is set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle green sparkling sugar or top with colored coconut or creamy coconut icing.
5. Optional Topping #1: Creamy coconut icing: Beat cream cheese, icing sugar and coconut extract together until smooth. Beat in coconut. Spread over lime squares and sprinkle with green sparkling sugar. Cut into squares.
6. Optional Topping #2: Place coconut and green food coloring into a zip lock bag and shake until color is evenly distributed. Add additional color if desired.
7. Optional Topping #3: sprinkle on as much green sparkling sugar as desired.
* These bars freeze really well, so make them ahead! The topping can be made right before serving
**To store: Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months .