Pumpkin Sausage Soup
(Sounds awful…tastes delicious)
Notes: Per 1-cup serving: 18 grams protein, 9 grams carbohydrate (2 grams dietary fiber). Rich in Vitamin A, Thiamin, B12, and calcium.
- *1 lb. country sausage (mild or spicy…you call it)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4tsp. thyme
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 15 ounces pumpkin
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Over medium heat brown the sausage breaking into small bits. Drain fat. Add the onion, garlic, parsley, thyme, oregano, and mushrooms and saute until vegetables are done.
Add the canned pumpkin and the broth, stirring to mix well. Cook at a low simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, and yogurt
* I use a combination of hot and sweet sausage. If you’re using link style sausages, be sure to remove the casing.
* I also add 1-2 scoops of Nectar unflavored protein powder
*I sometimes add 2 oz. of cream cheese, either for added flavor or as a replacement for the heavy cream.