Texas Corn Dogs
- 1 Tbsp canola or corn oil
- 2 slices smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef sirloin
- 1½ Tbsp. ancho chili powder
- 1½ tsp ground instant expresso or ground coffee (I omitted)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red or green jalepeño chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup room temperature beer (I omitted)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 Tbsp masa or cornmeal
- ½ cup drained red kidney beans
- 8-12 beef or pork hot dogs
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 bag Fritos Corn Chips for topping
- Yellow Mustard
- Minced onions
- Pickled jalepeño peppers
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Add the beef and brown well.
Add the chili powder, expresso (if using), season with salt and pepper, stir for about 1 minute.
Add onion, garlic, and fresh chili pepper and continue to cook until tender about 6-7. Stir in tomato paste, cook for 1 minute. Add the beer (if using) then stock, stir in masa or cornmeal and simmer until thickened about 10 minutes. Add the kidney beans and heat through.
Heat the hotdogs on the grill or simmering water. Serve the dogs in toasted buns and top with cheese, chili, lots of fritos, mustard, oinions, and pickled jalepeños.