Old Fashioned Beef Stew
- 1 pound lean beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup 1 inch green bean pieces
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Coat beef with flour, shaking off excess. In a large nonstick pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add beef, saute until browned, about 6 minutes. Place in a plate.
Add onions and mushrooms to pot, saute 6 minutes. Add garlic, saute, stirring for 1 minute. Pour off fat. Return beef to the pot. Stir in tomato paste, then broth. reduce heat to low, simmer until beef is tender, about 1 1/4 hours. Skim off any foam.
Add carrots, potatoes, and green beans. Cover partially, simmer for 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into stew. Increase heat and boil uncovered for 1 minute. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.