Potato and Leek Soup
Vichyssoise it sounds so fancy, but it’s really just a tasty, filling, and inexpensive soup that only has 5 primary ingredients. The traditional Vichyssoise soup is often served cold and made to be completely smooth and white. My version is served hot with chunks of potatoes and sliced leeks for texture. It’s super delicious and, by the way, has less fat and calories than the original.
- 6-10 potatoes (depending on size), peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 8 leeks, thoroughly washed and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots
- 1-2 chopped yellow onions
- Cooking oil to sauté
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 – 1 ½ quarts chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 120mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Place peeled and sliced potatoes into a large stock pot of cold water and bring to boil. Cook until fork tender, slightly under done. Remove from water and set aside
Clean leeks well (see below for tips on cleaning leeks)
In a stock pot sauté onions, carrots, celery, and salt/pepper (to taste) over medium heat until tender
Add 4 of the 8 chopped leaks and cook another few minutes until tender (re-season if necessary)
Add chicken stock, bay leaf, thyme, and 1/3 to ½ of the potatoes bring to a boil, then simmer 1 hour or until vegetables begin to dissipate into broth
Remove bay leaf then, using immersion blender, blend until smooth
Add the remaining leeks and potatoes, continue to simmer until tender about 20-30 minutes
Add half & half stir and heat until hot, serve
Leeks tend to have dirt and sand caught in their lower stalk. I clean them 2 ways to make sure they are ready for the pot. 1st slice the green tops off then leaks leaving only the white stalk. 2nd remove any damaged outer leaves. 3rd slice the leaks in half but leave the leak attached ½ inch from the root. 4th Under running water clean each layer of the sliced leek 5th+ (2nd way) Submerge the cleaned leeks in water and agitate leek to force any remaining dirt/sand to the bottom of the container
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!