The perfect hot dinner for cold winter nights.
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4-6 medium white or yellow flesh potatoes
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp tabasco sauce
- Optional: butter, milk or sour cream to add to the potatoes
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
Peel potatoes and cut into small pieces. Peel carrots and slice thinly. Chop onion & garlic into small pieces or use a food processor.
Cook ground beef in a deep frying pan breaking it up into small pieces. Drain off the fat when cooked. Next add the onion & garlic and continue cooking over low heat.
While the meat is cooking, cook the potatoes and carrots. I like to use a steamer pot for this. I boil the potatoes in the bottom pot and let the carrots steam on top of them, this also saves hydro costs.
Mix 1 tbsp cornstarch into the beef broth and add to the beef mixture. Add the pepper, worcestershire sauce & tabasco sauce. The mixture will thicken slightly.
When the vegetables are cooked, add the carrots to the meat mixture & stir. Pour the contents into an oven safe dish.
Mash the potatoes and add milk, butter or sour cream as desired. (I used up some leftover sour cream when I made mine.) Spread the mashed potatoes over the meat and pat down with a fork. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
Serve hot with vegetables on the side.
You'll also love
- Grandpa Murphy's Stir Fry 4/5 (46 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn A refreshing recipe for TUNA TATAKI 4.1/5 (40 Votes)
- Strawberry Tarts 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Easy Original Cheeseball Recipe 4.1/5 (40 Votes)
- Pot Liquor Mac-N-Cheese 4.2/5 (35 Votes)
- Potato Soufflée 3.1/5 (142 Votes)
- Baked Spaghetti 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Garlic Parsley Potatoes 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!