Dark Chocolate Chili
- For the chili:
- 500g ground beef
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 diced onion
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of black beans
- 2 cups of red wine or dark/red beer
- Worcestershire sauce
- Cinnamon (just a pinch)
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Nutmeg (just a pinch
- freshly grated)
- Cocoa powder (1 tbsp) or 2 squares of bitter dark chocolate
- grated cheese
- preferably cheddar
- chopped spring onions
- chopped fresh coriander
- creme fraiche or sour cream
- diced avocado
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Brown the onion in some olive oil in a Dutch oven. When transparent, add garlic and keep stirring. When the garlic is almost cooked, push the onions to the side of the pot and add the tomato paste in the middle. Cook for a few seconds.
Add the ground beef, mix with the onions and brown well. When the meat is done, add the bay leaf and the wine or beef. Cook on high until the liquid has evaporated.
Add the spices to the meat, along with a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and cook through. Add the tomatoes and the black beans and let simmer for about 30 minutes on low.
When done, serve on top of rice and add the toppings according to your taste. You can also add hot sauce or chopped jalapenos if you like it extra spicy.
You'll also love
- Pizza Dough 4.5/5 (34 Votes)
- Sloppy Joes with a kick 4.6/5 (64 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Peanut Butter Fudge 4.3/5 (52 Votes)
- Cherry Tomato and Artichoke Tart 4.4/5 (43 Votes)
- Chocolate Mini Cake 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Stuffed Pepper in Tomato Sauce 4.3/5 (46 Votes)
- Easy Beefy Cheese Ball in 15... 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Macaroni Bake 4.2/5 (47 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.