Decadent Apple Pie Bites
Whether made from the left overs from your homemade apple pie, or by itself these apple pie bites make the perfect hand held, bite sized desserts to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Preheat over to 350
- 2 1/2c all purpose flour
- 1 1/4t salt
- 1/4c chilled lard
- 6T chilled butter
- 7-10T cold water
- 2 large gala apple, peeled and diced (no larger than 1/2")
- 2 large granny smith apple, peeled and diced (no larger than 1/2")
- 1/2c sugar
- 2T all purpose flour
- 1/2t ground cinnamon
- a dash salt
- 2T melted butter
- 2T sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Mix the flour and salt.
Using a Pasty cutter, cut in the lard and butter until pea sized pieces are covered in flour
Add 4 tablespoons of water to the flour butter mix. With your hands mix it together, squishing the moisture into the flour.
As needed slowly add the remaining water with every tablespoon added mixing it together with your hands.
Continue to add the water until you are able to get all of the mixture into a solid ball.
Do NOT over mix, or the crust will be hard instead of flaky.
Let the dough sit in a ball
Gently mix the peeled and diced apples with the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt, covering all surfaces of the apple.
Let sit while rolling the dough.
Divide the dough into equal 1" balls (should be about 24).
With a rolling pin, roll out each ball to about 1/4" thick.
Place a spoonful of apple center in the center of each of the dough circles. Wrap the dough up forming a cup holding the apple center.
Combine the melted butter and sugar for the topping and drizzle over each of the apple bites.
Place on a tray where none of the bites are touching each other and place in the over at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the crust and apples start to turn a golden brown.
To enhance the topping, add 2T flour and 1/8t cinnamon to create a crumble for the apple pie bites.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.