It's hard to go wrong with this recipe. I used just what I had in the refrigerator, but it would be nice with the addition of some greens or extra fresh herbs. Feel free to experiment!
You can't go wrong with this delicious dish!
- 1 Eggplant
- 3 slices Bacon
- 1/4-1/2 cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 package button mushrooms
- Cheese - I used a mixture of cheddar and parmesan because that's what I had on hand.
- breadcrumbs - I had some homemade from an old baguette mixed with a little parmesan, garlic and chives
- Garnish (make it pretty)
- Crumbled bacon
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Cut your eggplant in half and scoop out the flesh but leave the outside intact. I boiled the two halves in water for a little over 5 minutes (because I was feeling impatient and didn't want to bake it 40 minutes). Chop up the eggplant insides and boil in same water until soft. Drain.
Heat oven to 350°
Fry bacon in a pan and let drain.
In the same pan, fry onion until almost translucent.
Add garlic, then mushrooms. When mushrooms are cooked add boiled and drained eggplant flesh. Mix and season to taste.
Lay eggplant on a cookie sheets.
Layer cheese then filling inside the eggplant vessels. Top with bread crumbs and bake for 20 minutes until breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
Top with garnishes of your choice. I used crumbled bacon, chives and parsley.
You'll also love
- Pepper Chicken Masala 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Shrimp stir fry 4.2/5 (28 Votes)
- Chicken with Garlic and Olives 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Pizza Tortillas 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole 4.2/5 (25 Votes)
- Fresh Red Bean and Beef Chili 4.2/5 (8 Votes)
- Panna cotta with Roquefort and Figs 4.4/5 (28 Votes)
- Chicken Things 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
- Salt and pepper
Slice eggplant and chop coriander
Place sliced eggplant in toaster
Thoroughly mix hummus, salt, pepper, and coriander
Spread the mixture onto the toasted eggplant slice!
Review this recipe