Winter Warming Leek and Potato Soup
Creamy leek and potato soup makes a savory snack after a cold afternoon, or a light lunch or dinner with some crusty bread, or even as an appetizer.
Creamy leek and potato soup makes a savory snack for a cold afternoon, a light lunch or dinner with some crusty bread, or even as an appetizer.
- 3 large leeks
- white parts only
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 2 crushed garlic buds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of milk
- either low fat
- 1% or 2% depending on the thickness of the soup you prefer;
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
1) sweat the onions, leeks and garlic in the olive oil and butter in the soup pot until they are softened but not browned for about five minutes.
2) add chicken stock and potatoes
3) Add in salt, pepper, thyme and parsley
4) cook until potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes
5) cool for about 20 minutes
6) purée the mixture in a blender.
7) return mixture to the soup pot.
8) add milk and heat, but don't boil.
This soup tastes even better after re-heating and is perfect for freezing for use later, on chilly days or for quick homemade meals.
You'll also love
- YUM!Food Porn Paleo Taco Soup 4.4/5 (61 Votes)
- Easy Peasy Banana Bread 4/5 (88 Votes)
- White Chocolate Berry Bread Pudding 4.5/5 (52 Votes)
- Dad's Potato Salad 3.9/5 (99 Votes)
- Shepherd's Pie 3.5/5 (168 Votes)
- 15 Bean Soup 4.3/5 (61 Votes)
- Austrian Potato Soup with chives 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pot Roast Dinner 4.8/5 (18 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!