Fresh Tomato Soup with Gin
A favorite in long cool summer drinks, gin gives this refreshing soup an extra splash of flavor. It’s delicious served hot or chilled.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 leeks, sliced (white parts only)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil (or, 1 tsp/5 mL dried)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- pinch each black and pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 6 tomatoes (unpeeled), coarsely chopped (2-1/2 Ib 1.25 kg)
- 3 cups boiling chicken stock
- 4 1/2 cup gin
- sour cream
- basil sprigs
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
In large saucepan, melt butter over, low heat; cook leeks and garlic, stir- ring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in carrot, basil, and salt, brown sugar, black and cayenne peppers,1 and bay leaf; cook, stirring, for l minutes. Stir in flour; cook for 1 2 minutes. Stirring constantly, add tomatoes, stock and gin. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 minutes. Pass soup through food mill or sieve to remove skins and seeds. Return to saucepan; reheat gently. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with sour cream and basil.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.