Fresh Tomato Soup with Gin
A favorite in long cool summer drinks, gin gives this refreshing soup an extra splash of flavor. It’s delicious served hot or chilled.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 leeks
- sliced (white parts only)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil (or
- 1 tsp/5 mL dried)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- pinch each black and pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 6 tomatoes (unpeeled)
- coarsely chopped (2-1/2 Ib 1.25 kg)
- 3 cups boiling chicken stock
- 4 1/2 cup gin
- sour cream
- basil sprigs
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
In large saucepan, melt butter over, low heat; cook leeks and garlic, stir- ring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in carrot, basil, and salt, brown sugar, black and cayenne peppers,1 and bay leaf; cook, stirring, for l minutes. Stir in flour; cook for 1 2 minutes. Stirring constantly, add tomatoes, stock and gin. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 minutes. Pass soup through food mill or sieve to remove skins and seeds. Return to saucepan; reheat gently. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with sour cream and basil.
You'll also love
- Bacon, tomato & avocado pasta salad 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Summer Tart 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast 3.8/5 (23 Votes)
- Crunchy Tapenade Appetizers 4.1/5 (28 Votes)
- Puff pastry with asparagus 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Veal Burger with Vegetables 4/5 (35 Votes)
- Quick Meal In A Soup 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Veggie Packed Chili Recipe 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.