Mom's Creamy Light Risotto
- 2 large peppers (preferably 1 red and 1 yellow)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain Italian Arborio rice
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 10-oz (284-mL) can undiluted chicken broth
- 2 (10-oz/284-mL) cans water
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
Seed peppers. Dice or slice into thin julienne strips, then cut into 1-inch pieces.
Melt butter in a large wide saucepan set over medium heat. Add 2 garlic cloves. Sprinkle with cayenne. Add peppers. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then remove to plate.
Add onion and remaining garlic clove to pan. Saute, stirring often, until onion has softened, about 3 minutes. Then, add rice and stir until coated with butter.
While constantly stirring rice mixture, immediately add mushrooms, wine and red pepper flakes. Stir gently until rice absorbs wine.
Then, add chicken broth. Stir frequently and wait until liquid is absorbed before adding water. (This process is necessary to produce a creamy textured rice.) Add 1 can of water and continue stirring until all is absorbed. Add remaining can of water. Stir frequently until most of water is absorbed and rice is tender but not mushy, about 25 to 35 minutes. (Most people prefer risotto soupy.) Remove from heat.
Stir in cheese until evenly distributed, then stir in half of shrimp and peppers. Taste and add salt and white pepper, if needed. Serve immediately in wide shallow soup bowls or deep plates. Scatter remaining peppers over top.
Make ahead: After last can of water is added, continue cooking until half of it is absorbed. Cover and refrigerate. Refrigerate shrimp and peppers separately. To finish cooking, reheat over medium heat, stirring often until water is absorbed, and proceed as above.
You'll also love
- Basque Chicken, polenta with Black... 3.8/5 (277 Votes)
- Outback Steakhouse Queensland... 4.1/5 (187 Votes)
- Chicken and Mushroom Risotto 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- VEAL PARMIGIANA 4/5 (19 Votes)
- Dannielle's Lasagna Roll-Ups 4/5 (19 Votes)
- Coriander Channa Pulao 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Sweet pongal (Sarkkarai pongal) 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken and Broccoli Casserole 4/5 (18 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.