WARNING: Nuts recalled from USA shelves.
(June 15, 2017) Recall due to possible LISTERIA CONTAMINATION
The Kroger Co. has decided to expand a recall of its 12-oz. packages of Simple Truth Dry Roasted Macadamia Nuts, following the discovery of a contaminated piece of equipment where the nuts were manufactured.
The original recall was initiated in May, when Kroger informed the FDA that routine sampling of a different item produced by the supplier for another company tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes. The supplier removed the following item from store shelves and began alerting customers who might have purchased the recalled product by means of register receipt tape messages and phone calls:
- Simple Truth Dry Roasted Macadamia Nuts, 12 oz., Sell by Dec. 09 2017, Mar. 02 2018, Mar. 03 2018, Apr. 07 2018
Kroger has since expanded this recall to include all stores nationwide under the following names: Kroger, Ralphs, Food 4 Less, Foods Co., Fred Meyer, Fry's, King Soopers, City Market, Smith's, Dillons, Baker's, Gerbes, Jay C, Ruler Foods, Pay Less, Pick ‘N Save, Copps, Metro Market, Owen's and QFC.
"Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria monocytogenes can cause miscarriages and stillbirth among pregnant women." — United States Food and Drug Administration
Customers who have purchased this product are highly advised not to consume it. The product may be returned to the store for refund or replacement. No customer illnesses have been reported to date.
Customers with questions should contact Kroger at 1-800-KROGERS, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. ET to 12:00 a.m. ET, and Saturday through Sunday 8:00 a.m. ET to 9:00 p.m. ET.
Click here to get all of the facts about recalls and food safety in the US.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!