Spinach and Artichoke Melts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 2%, but whatever you have will be fine)
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used 0%)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup (about 5 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (6.7 ounce) jar grilled artichoke hearts or you can sub marinated artichokes, chopped
- 1 chicken breast, grilled and sliced thin (optional)
- 8 slices thick sourdough or tuscan bread
- butter, for spreading
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Whisk in flour until it makes a paste. Cook over medium-low heat for a minute or two, then pour in milk. Stir and cook one minute, if your paste gets too thick splash in more milk.
Add cream cheese, mozzarella, parmesan and pepper. Stir until cheeses are melted. Stir in the greek yogurt until smooth. Chop artichokes and spinach and add to the sauce. Stir to combine. Dip will be thick, just use some muscle and stir in those veggies!
Heat a skillet (or griddle, etc) oven medium-low heat. Butter the outsides of every bread slice, then spread a good amount (any where from 1-3 tablespoons) of the spinach and artichoke dip on the inside (the non-buttered side) of each slice. If using, top one slice with the sliced grilled chicken. Top off with another slice of bread, buttered-side up. Cook until each side is golden and crisp and cheese is melted, then gently flip and do the same.
Slice and serve.