SIMPLE BERRY AND VANILLA CREAM TRIFLE
By JOSEY STUBBS
- 1 Purchased butter loaf cake (11.5 oz), sliced
- 1 Box (6-serving size)vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Cups whole milk
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 Container (8 oz) whipped topping, thawed
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, stems removed, sliced
- 1 Pint (2 cups) fresh blueberries
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
1. In medium bowl, beat pudding mix, vanilla, milk and sour cream with electric mixer on medium speed until soft pudding forms. Cover; refrigerate.
2. In trifle bowl or large clear bowl, arrange 1 layer of sliced cake to cover entire bottom of bowl. Top with a layer of pudding, then a layer of whipped topping, and then a layer of strawberries. Repeat all layers except use blueberries. Continue with layers until bowl is full.
3. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to serve.
Pudding can be made a day or two in advance to make the assembly quicker.
If you prefer real whipped cream, you can replace the whipped topping by whipping a pint of whipping cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla and 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
Trifle can be made several hours ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.