Chicken Curry Quick and Easy Madras Style
Chicken curry with rice is a beloved classic that only needs a minor modification to qualify as a quick and easy recipe - a jar of curry paste.
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons ginger grated or minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic finely chopped
- 1 jar Madras spice paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- 2 pounds chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 2 teaspoons cilantro chopped
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
Remove any skin on chicken and cut meat into bite-sized pieces.
Heat oil in a pot on medium-high until shimmering. Add mustard seeds to hot oil and heat until they begin to pop, then add chopped onions. Sautée onions until soft and lightly browned.
Add ginger and garlic and sautée for 30 seconds. Add spice paste and sautée for 30 more seconds.
Add tomatoes, water and chopped chicken to pot. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through (approximately 15 - 20 minutes).
Uncover and continue to simmer until liquid has reduced to preferred consistency (approximately 5 minutes). Serve over basmati rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Chicken breast can be substituted for chicken thighs.