Easy Weeknight Dinners: Thai-Style Coconut-Curry Mussels
Need something light yet satisfying for tonight's dinner? These Thai-style coconut curry mussels are wonderfully aromatic and flavorful, and they'll fill you up without weighing you down. Try our easy recipe now.
Thai-Style Coconut Curry Mussels
These Thai-Style mussels make for a light and delicious dinner or starter. The buttery sauce is flavored with mild yellow curry paste, lots of fresh ginger and garlic. It'll fill your kitchen with the most delicious aroma, and you can serve a bowl of these beauties with steamed rice on the side for a healthy no-fuss meal.
For 4 servings
- 2 lbs (1kg) mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 4 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 1 13.5-oz (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Cilantro, to garnish
- After scrubbing and debearding the mussels, soak them in cold water for 10 minutes. Change the water and soak for 10 minutes more. Drain before using.
- Melt the butter in a large, deep-sided saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften and become translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and let cook for 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry paste and stir to spread it around and coat the onions. Let cook for 5 minutes then add the coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce and lime juice. Bring the preparation to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the mussels. Cover the pot with a tight lid and let the mussels steam in the curry for 6 to 7 minutes until they open. Discard any mussels that are still closed.
- Use a slotted spoon to divide the mussels into four bowls. Pour the broth over them. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
Hungry for more? Here's an easy step-by-step recipe for frutti di mare seafood pasta.
More steaming articles
10 foods for a brighter smile Beautiful Fruit Pies for Summertime... 8 hacks to save water when you're...
Chef Tips and Tricks
VIDEO: Chicken Quesadillas
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.
Comment on this article