Onigirazu: The Best Sushi Sandwich for Weekday Lunches
Move over, bagel sandwiches. These easy sushi sandwiches are going to be your new favorite weekday lunch.
© Gourmandize / Silvia Santucci
Onigirazu: Sushi Sandwiches
Have you ever tried homemade sushi? It's a lot easier than you think, and it would make for a fun family cooking project or date night activity. That said, all that rolling and slicing can be a bit time-consuming for everyday meals, so if you're looking for a shortcut version, try these easy onigirazu (sushi sandwiches) or check out the genius way to make fuss-free homemade sushi here.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 cup (200 g) sushi rice
- 2 cups (50 cl) water
- 4 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 salmon fillets
- 3 nori seaweed sheets
- 1 cup (90 g) carrots, grated
- 1 avocado
- Soy sauce, for serving
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These fun Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups make the perfect warm-weather appetizer!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lb salmon, diced
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Stir though the cooked sushi rice, and with wet hands, shape into balls.
- Press the balls into ramekins lined with parchment paper, and press the rice up the sides of the ramekins into cup shapes.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the soy sauce, cilantro, sesame oil, chili paste and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the mango, avocado and salmon.
- Pour the soy mixture over the salmon mixture, and stir through until evenly coated.
- Remove the rice cups from the refrigerator, and peel off the parchment paper.
- Distribute the salmon mixture between the rice cups.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!