April Fool's: Recipes that Aren't What They Seem
Flower pot or mousse au chocolat? Potatoes or Pebbles? And is that sponge really edible?! Here are 11 totally crazy yet super delicious recipes to fool your loved ones on April 1st.
1/11 View slideshow
© Groupe SEB
Kitchen Sponge Cake
Things are not always what they seem... See how many friends and family you can fool with this hilarious dessert illusion. Here's how to make it:
Ingredients (makes about 6 servings):
- 2 1/2 sticks of butter (10 oz.), softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- Yellow and green food coloring (you can also make the green color by mixing yellow and blue together)
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- Place the softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl and mix well with a hand mixer.
- Add the lemon juice, eggs, flour and baking powder. Mix well again.
- Line 2 loaf pans with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 350°C.
- Break off 1/3 of the dough and place in a bowl. Place the remaining 2/3 dough in another bowl. Using the food colorings, dye the larger proportion of dough (2/3) yellow and the smaller amount (1/3) green.
- Add the yellow batter to one of the prepared loaf pans and smooth the surface with a spatula. Add the green batter to the second loaf pan and smooth the surface again.
- Place both loaf pans in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Insert a dry toothpick into the center of each cake to check for doneness. If it comes out clean, they're ready.
- After baking, let cool and unmold each cake. Add the yellow part to a plate and spread with the lemon curd. Top with the green part. Cut into sponge-sized servings.
- Tip: For the soap-like finish, beat an egg white until stiff and add it the sponge to create the "foam."
More steaming articles
Spicy Dishes to Perk Up Weeknight... You've Got to Try These Brownie Recipes... You've Got to Try These Chocolate...
Chef Tips and Tricks
VIDEO: Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups
These fun Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups make the perfect warm-weather appetizer!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lb salmon, diced
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Stir though the cooked sushi rice, and with wet hands, shape into balls.
- Press the balls into ramekins lined with parchment paper, and press the rice up the sides of the ramekins into cup shapes.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the soy sauce, cilantro, sesame oil, chili paste and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the mango, avocado and salmon.
- Pour the soy mixture over the salmon mixture, and stir through until evenly coated.
- Remove the rice cups from the refrigerator, and peel off the parchment paper.
- Distribute the salmon mixture between the rice cups.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!
Comment on this article