Holiday Appetizers: Hot & Crispy Chicken Puff Pastries
These crispy chicken pastries look like Indian samosas, but they're actually a Moroccan specialty!
1/20 View slideshow
© Gourmandize / Silvia Santucci
Crispy Chicken Samosas
These crispy chicken puff pastries look like Indian samosas, but they're actually a popular snack of Moroccan origin known as briwat or briouate. Briwat can be sweet or savory, and in this recipe, it's a little bit of both! North African cuisine often incorporates dried fruits in its dishes, and here you have briwat with chicken, spices and prunes. Prunes are dried plums, similar to dates in texture but not as sweet. They're an easy-to-make appetizer for any occasion. Try our step-by-step recipe now.
More steaming articles
A step by step recipe for homemade chai... Easy-As-Pie Pineapple Dole Whips 5 Healthy, Ramadan-friendly Recipes
Chef Tips and Tricks
VIDEO: Tasty Beef Tomato Pockets
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.
Comment on this article