Japchae: Gluten-Free Korean Noodle Stir Fry in 10 Simple Steps
Have you tried this popular Korean dish?
© Gourmandize / Silvia Santucci
Japchae: Easy Gluten-Free Korean Glass Noodles
Japchae is a very popular dish in Korea, made with stir-fried glass noodles and vegetables. The glass noodles, known as dangmyeon, are actually a type of cellophane noodles made from sweet potato starch. It can be served warm, at room temperature or cold and is typically served as a banchan (side dish), although it can also be enjoyed as a main dish, with or without the addition of protein.
For the noodles
- 5 oz. glass noodles (made from sweet potato starch, dangmyeon)
- 5 dried Chinese or shiitake mushrooms
- 5 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 5 scallions
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- Vegetable oil
For the sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
- 2 tsp garlic
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
This Gluten-Free Broccoli Pizza is original, healthy and super tasty!
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups of your favorite shredded cheese (we recommend two types- 1 cup of one, ¾ cup of the other)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or canned crushed tomatoes)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 9 slices coppa ham
- Cut the broccoli and boil until soft.
- Place the broccoli in a blender.
- In a bowl, add an egg and ¾ cup of shredded cheese, mix until solid.
- Form a ball and roll it flat on an oven tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 min at 350° F.
- Once out of the oven, spread the tomato sauce evenly on the broccoli crust.
- Layer 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place a layer of Coppa ham.
- Top off with of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slide it back into the oven until the cheese melts.