- 1 sponge cake (10 to 12" and about 3" tall)
- 3 ounces strong black coffee
- 3 ounces brandy or rum
- 1 and 1/2 pounds room temperature cream cheese or mascarpone (my pick)
- 1 and 1/2 cups superfine or powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cut across middle of sponge cake, forming two layers, each about 1 and 1/2 inches thick.
Blend coffee and brandy. Sprinkle enough mixture over bottom half of cake to flavor it strongly. Don't moisten cake too much or it may collapse on serving.
Beat room temperature cheese and 1 cup sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and cheese is light and spreadable.
Test for sweetness during beating, adding more sugar if needed.
On the cut surface of bottom layer, spread half of the cheese mixture.
Replace second layer and top with remaining cheese mixture.
Sprinkle top literally with sifted cocoa.
Refrigerate cake for at least two hours before cutting and serving.
You'll also love
- Incision cake "Capital" 4/5 (21 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll be eating this tiramisu with a twist all summer!
- 2 cups strawberries
- 12 oz (1 1/2 cups) mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Blend the strawberries to a pulp.
- Mix the mascarpone cheese, sour cream, and sugar.
- Crush the ginger biscuits.
- In a jar or bowl, layer the biscuits, the strawberries, and the cream mix (biscuits, part of cream mix, strawberries, and then another layer of cream mix).
- Top off with a fresh sliced strawberry and some ginger biscuit crumbs.