- 1 lb dried beans - approximately 2 1/3 cups
- 1/4 lb salt pork or 1/4 lb bacon or 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ketchup
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cover beans with water, let soak overnight.
Place beans in pot on stove, cover with water and simmer until skins split (approximately 30 minutes).
Put beans, water and all the other ingredients listed into oven safe casserole or bean crock and bake at 325oF until beans are tender and have turned a deep brown (at least 3 hours).
You'll also love
- Winning 3-Alarm Bean Chili 4.1/5 (24 Votes)