Weeknight Dinners: Quick & Easy Mussels Marinara
Do you always order mussels marinara at your local Italian spot? You'd be surprised at how easy and delicious it is to make at home! Try our recipe now.
Quick & Easy Mussels Marinara
Mussels marinara is a beloved Italian-American dish (though the origins of the sauce are definitely Italian!). Serve it as a light appetizer with crusty bread for dipping or on a bed of pasta for your main meal. Either way, it's a delicious dish you can easily make at home!
For 4 main servings with pasta or 6 as an appetizer
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 28-oz. (800g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dry Italian herb seasoning (or herbes de provence)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 lbs (1kg) fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
- Lemon wedges
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and let cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and gently scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits.
- Add the tomatoes, dried herb seasoning and fresh herbs. Stir well and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the sauce for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mussels and stir to coat.
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and cook for about 10 minutes until the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that are broken or still closed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with more fresh parsley, and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Hungry for more? Try these Thai-style coconut curry mussels.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.