5 Refreshing Ways to Use A Watermelon
When the warm days roll in, so do our cravings for this sweet and hydrating fruit. Find out how to sneak more of it into your summer diet!
Moroccan Watermelon Salad with Pistachio
If you're looking to incorporates watermelon in a savory dish, a summery salad is a fantastic option. This particular recipe mixes the fruit with ingredients such as cucumbers, mint, feta cheese, and pistachios to give it a full and delicious flavor.
Watermelon on its own is nothing but sweet, but pair that with some tangy salsa ingredients and you have a whole new flavor to savor.
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- 2 cups watermelon (seedless and chopped)
- 1/2 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 garlic cloved (minced)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- Put the diced watermelon, red onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, and garlic.
- Drizzle the lime juice over the mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving with tortilla chips.
This 4-ingredient, low carb mousse is a great way to serve up fresh watermelon at summer parties in a new and unique way. And did we mention it only takes 10 minutes to make?
Each summer seems to be hotter than the last, and when it's super hot, we're usually in need of a little refreshement. This watermelon sorbet is the perfect pick-me-up, and it can be whipped up in just 5 mins!
Barbecue Watermelon Fillet
We've saved the best 'til last with this one! You might not believe us, but did you know you can make a juicy, chewy steak from ... a watermelon? Why not try this recipe during your next cookout? It's bound to impress and even better, it's veggie too.
Ingredients (for 6 people):
- 3 small watermelons
- 1 tbs salt
For the marinade:
- 2 tsp tahini
- 4 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs balsalic vinegar
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbs mushroom powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 scallions
- 1 handful coriander
- 3 tbs sesame oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 390°F. Slice the watermelons and sprinkle salt over them. Place them on a lined baking tray and put them in the oven for 90 mins.
- Turn the melon over 3 times during cooking. If the melon starts to color, turn the oven temperature down to 320°F.
- While the melon is roasting, make the marinade. Add all the other ingredients to a blender, and blitz until smooth.
- Once the melon has been roasted, the texture should be completely different. Once taken out of the oven and cooled down, it should be springy to touch. Score the melon lightly using a knife and spoon over the marinade.
- Cover over the tray and leave the melon to marinade for at least 3 hours, although over night is ideal.
- Cook your melon on the barbecue and while it's grilling, spoon over the marinade. You can always cook the melon in a non-stick skillet until it's a deep pink/red color.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.