Feeling in a Funk? Add This Green Goddess Dressing To Your Salad
The TikTok recipe trend that will leave you feeling truly detoxed.
What is Green Goddess Dressing?
Green Goddess dressing hails from San Francisco, California, and is the queen of creamy dressings. Not only that, it's super healthy and can be used to bring the life out of any veggie, or used to spruce up a pasta salad.
It's thought to have been invented in 1923, when the chef of San Francisco's Palace Hotel, Philip Roemer, invented the dressing in honor of George Arliss. The actor was performing in a play named The Green Goddess at the time, so it's total coincidence that the dressing rocks the same vibrant color!
At the time, the dressing was laddled over tinned artichoke (interesting!), but we recommend mixing it into a pasta salad or using it as a dip for veggies.
How Do I Make Green Goddess Dressing?
Ingredients (for 1 person):
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic (finely sliced)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 lemon juice (juiced)
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt (for seasoning)
- In a blender, combine the fresh parsley and fresh basil.
- Add the garlic and avocado. Blend.
- Add the olive oil,honey, and lemon juice. Blend again.
- Add the water. Blend again for 1 mins. in 10 second pulses.
- Season. Blend again for 10 seconds.
- Enjoy immediately over your fave salad, stirred into pasta, or with a spoon directly from the mixer (perhaps not the latter, but it really is that tasty!)
Green Goddess Salad with Chicken
The dressing will keep for a couple of days if correctly stored in the refrigerator, but we prefer to use it as soon as it's made. It can be spooned onto any salad or stirred into pasta, but why not mix it in with our fave salad recipe? Here it is:
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 2 cups romaine lettuce (finely chopped)
- 8 oz. chicken breast (cooked and thinly sliced)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked until crispy and chopped)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 large hard-boiled egg (peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 avocado (diced)
- 1/4 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
- Pour the lettuce from the cups onto a plate.
- Arrange the sliced chicken on top, as well as the bacon, tomatoes and egg. Spoon the avocado over the ingredients and scatter the red onion on top too. Crumble the feta on top and voilà!
Hungry for more? Try These 30 Crowd-Pleasing Pasta & Potato Salads
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.