You've Got to Try Stanley Tucci's Fave Zucchini Spaghetti
In Stanley Tucci's new travel show, Searching for Italy, the actor tastes local offerings — this one was his fave.
Formally known as Spaghetti alla Nerano, the Devil Wears Prada actor described the dish as "unbelievable", "life changing", and even "one of the best things I've ever eaten"!
We're impressed. But what's the secret?
Well, it turns out that it's deep-fried zucchini, and deep-frying anything usually equals ultimate tastiness. Why not give it a go?
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 6 zucchini (sliced widthways)
- 14 oz. spaghetti
- 2 gloves garlic (crushed)
- 3 oz. Parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- Black pepper and salt (for seasoning)
- 1 tsp. butter (optional)
Put 1 tsp. olive oil into a deep fryer and heat to 350°F.
- Layer zucchini onto the oil and deep-fry until golden brown. Transfer the layer onto paper towels and drain. Repeat with the remaining zucchini. Let the zucchini cool.
- Pull the cool zucchini into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and salt. Cook the spaghetti in the water for 10 min.
- As you're cooking the spaghetti, heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium-heat. Add the zucchini and salt and cool for 3 min. stirring occasionally to make sure it does not stick.
- Add a few splashes of pasta water to the zucchini and break it down into small pieces.
- Reduce heat, toss 3/4 basil leaves, and stir in the butter.
- Using tongs, transfer the spaghetti into the sauce until the spaghetti is totally coated.
- Mix in 1/4 of the cheese, add a final splash of water and season with black pepper.
- Serve topped with the remaining Parmesan and remaining basil.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Do you put the pasta in without waiting for the water to boil? Add oil? Forget the salt?