Cooking ProTip: Make Your Sweet Treats Pop With This Ingredient
Just a pinch is all your need.
If you really want to make your cookies, cakes and brownies taste incredible, hold the sugar... and reach instead for the salt!
Just a pinch of salt can enhance the sweetness of a dish by 2 times. That may sound counterintutive, but there's a scientific reason why: your tongue is covered in sweet-sensitive taste buds. Glucose (or sugar) is transported into those taste bud sensors in the presence of sodium. So adding salt to your sweets makes your tongue more sensitive to sweets, meaning you need less sugar to get the same flavor impact.
Don't believe us? Try it for yourself, and let us know what you think in the comments!
Craving something sweet now? Here are 10 secrets to baking the perfect cookies.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.