Duck and Shallots
- - 16 duck breasts
- - Scant 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- - 11 tbsp butter (softened 7 tbsp + 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp)
- - 1 cup of chicken stock
- - 6 shallots
- peeled and minced
- - 1 tsp granulated sugar mixed with salt and pepper......................
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
- In a saucepan, over high heat, melt 2 tbsp butter and brown the shallots.
- Add the chicken stock, wine and reduce by one third.
- Sprinkle with seasoning and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat 4 plates.
- Stir with a whisk 7 tbsp of softened butter to the sauce.
- In a skillet over low heat, melt the remaining butter and cook the duck 2 minutes on each side.
- On each plate, place four duck breasts and top with sauce.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Who will you make these elegant duck pastry pockets for?
- 1 whole duck breast
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 3-4 slices ham
- 3-4 tbsp raspberry jam
- 3- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- Fry the duck breast in a pan until medium rare (or your preference) and browned on the outside.
- Roll out a sheet of puff pastry, and layer the ham slices in the middle.
- Spread the raspberry jam over the ham slices, and follow with the Muenster cheese, and the duck breast.
- Moisten the sides of the pastry with water, then fold to enclose the duck.
- Brush the pastry with the egg yolk, then score lightly with a knife.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 464°F (until the cheese is melted and the pastry is golden brown)
- Serve, and enjoy!