Duck with Vanilla
- (for 4 people):
- 2 beautiful duck breasts
- 1 large onion
- 2 vanilla bean split and scraped
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 rounded teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons white rum
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
Preparation: In a heavy saucepan, brown the duck breasts skin side first without fat. Discard the fat rendered from the meat. Add chopped onion and let it melt.
Add vanilla, sugar, rum and flambé. Mix in flour, tomato paste, a small glass of water and salt.
Mix well and just before boiling add back your duck breasts (to add a little more flavor while cooking). Serve immediately with white rice.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Who will you make these elegant duck pastry pockets for?
- 1 whole duck breast
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 3-4 slices ham
- 3-4 tbsp raspberry jam
- 3- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- Fry the duck breast in a pan until medium rare (or your preference) and browned on the outside.
- Roll out a sheet of puff pastry, and layer the ham slices in the middle.
- Spread the raspberry jam over the ham slices, and follow with the Muenster cheese, and the duck breast.
- Moisten the sides of the pastry with water, then fold to enclose the duck.
- Brush the pastry with the egg yolk, then score lightly with a knife.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 464°F (until the cheese is melted and the pastry is golden brown)
- Serve, and enjoy!