perfect game day food
Alcapurrias are delicious Puerto Rican fritters. Discover our recipe.
- 5 white yautias
- 3 green plantains or 6 small guineitos (green bananas)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 packet of Sazón with achiote
- 1 tablespoon of melted cooled shortening
- 1 lg bowl salted water
- 2 lbs pork (ground or cubed)
- 1/2.ounces of tocino (salt pork)
- 1 ounce of jamón de cocinar (cooking ham)
- 2 tablespoons of Sofrito
- 1/2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 packets of Sazon with achiote
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4.teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 cup pimento stuffed olives (chopped)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Peel the plantains and yautía and cut into small pieces as you peel place them in the salted water.
Grate vegetable pieces in food processor until fine.
Add the salt, Sazon and shortening and mix well, refrigerate while preparing meat.
In a frying pan brown the meat in a bit of olive oil.
Add all the remaining ingredients and stir well then cook at medium heat for 15-30 minutes
Heat 2 cups of vegetable oil to 375 degrees in a deep heavy skillet.
Spread about 1/4 cup of the alcapurria dough onto the palm of your hand. Place a tablespoon of the meat filling in the middle and flip one side of the dough over the meat by folding your hand, smooth closed over the meat. Round out in your hand to an oval shape.
Glide gently into the hot oil. Cook until deep golden brown and blot on paper towels