A recipe for the Italian soup you NEED in your life!
Pasta shells + Kidney beans + Fresh Veggies + Seasonings = Italian soup BLISS. Get the full recipe HERE
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (optional)
- 1 cup cooked or canned red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup each of finely chopped celery and carrot and sweet pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp each of dried oregano and basil
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
In large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions, celery, carrot, sweet pepper and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes (crush as you add them), chicken stock, oregano and basil; bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add cabbage, beans and macaroni. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes. Add a little more stock or water if too thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Minestrone with Sausage variation: Lightly brown 1/2 lb (250 g) sliced or crumbled Italian sausage in saucepan before adding vegetables.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!